Catrike announces the Eola, a new recumbent trike model for 2019.
You are here
Supercharged with technical expertise and specialist knowledge, the ICE VTX is a new breed of recumbent trike.ICE VTX and VTX+ trikes are built on a light-weight optimized ICE frame featuring No Brake Steer, Rider Positioning System, and advanced race components.
The ICE VTX is optimized for speed. These optimizations include:
- Weight: the Vortex has extra weight trimmed off as compared to other ICE models. Weight is eliminated using special tubing, and by omitting such features as a hinge for folding. Several points of adjustability found on other ICE models are eliminated in the overarching quest for lightness.
- Stiffness: Lateral frame stiffness is a key element of drivetrain efficiency. The VTX frame has a high lateral stiffness and a hardshell seat. Both of these optimizations improve rider efficiency.
- Components: Such choices as 700C rear-wheel configuration and front tires improve rolling resistance. Other component choices are to optimize weight.
- Hardware: On the VTX Plus, other optimizations include use of titanium (axles), and carbon fiber (hard-shell seat), are primarily targeted to reduce weight.
- Rider position: The VTX is a full-length trike. Its length contributes to stability at speed and gives the rider a fully laid-back seat angle for maximum pedaling efficiency.
The VTX is not intended for heavier riders and has a lower weight-rating than other ICE trikes.
The VTX traces its lineage through the ICE Vortex, Trice S, Trice Qnt. and other previous models.